Green Grove Camp – Wakaw Lake, Saskatchewan
Green Grove Ukrainian Orthodox Camp (referred to in the following documents as “GGC”) has a rich history and tradition with the Orthodox community since the beginning of operations in 1948. Our ancestors believed deeply in the importance of a gathering place for our youth to continue their learning of the Orthodox faith, Ukrainian language, culture and heritage. It is in the memory of our ancestors and our mother land that we have the pride of who we are and where we come with the strong desire to continue these teachings to our children of the present and the future.
GGC is a registered charity which strives to deliver an outstanding experience to our camp participants. A successful summer session not only includes teachings, but also provides a memorable and treasured experience for campers of lasting lifetime friendships and leaves a continued legacy of our people, our GGC Family and our community.
We are currently seeking individuals to fill positions for summer session 2023 at Green Grove Camp!
Youth Camp (ages 7 – 13) July 9 – 23, 2023
Teen Camp (Grade 9 – Grade 12) July 23 – 30, 2023
Requirements for all summer staff of GGC
The following qualifications / skills are desired and knowledge of such preferred. Previous experience will be taken into consideration:
- Confident and comfortable with understanding of the Ukrainian Orthodox faith, Ukrainian language, culture, and history.
- Experience in working with children in a group setting aged 7 – 14 for youth camp, and Grades 9 – 12 for teen camp.
- Be on time for all activities and be leaders for behaviour and expectations, as well as being active participants when sessions are being run by a guest speaker / activity leader.
- Leading and supporting camp participants while ensuring their safety, development, growth, skill achievement and general well being.
- Communicate with parents when necessary, regarding camp life, behaviour, and health.
- Current CPR/First Aid Certificate – asset.
- Driver’s License and clear driver’s abstract.
- Clear Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Search. Reimbursement of fees will be provided with final pay of camp session. Receipt of expenses must be provided to the Director who will in turn provide to the Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
Location, hours and expectation of work:
- GGC is located approximately 1 hour northeast of Saskatoon on the shores of Wakaw Lake, Saskatchewan.
- The GGC season runs during the month of July. During this time staff is required to live on site and be on duty/call to provide effective leadership and oversight of campers.
- Hours of work are directly related to a typical camp day (7:00 am – 23:00 pm) plus any additional hours required to fulfill the duties associated with the position.
- Ability to work as part of a team environment as well as independently when required.
- Be an active participant in the debriefing at the end of each day as a team under the direction of the Director or in the Director’s absence the next in charge being the Assistant Director.
- Maintain accurate programming records, including incident reports and daily attendance.
- Be responsible for your main job but also be involved in other areas of the camp when needed.
- Not scared of hard work, long days, the dark, the weather, sleeping in tents or outside under the stars, food cooked over a fire, coyotes howling, bugs, crisp mornings, willingness to participate and assist in new adventures and most importantly love working with kids!!!
- Able to live for the duration of the session without electronics, including but not limited to cell phones, tablets, laptops – communication will be acceptable at an agreed to time with the Director of camp.
- Casual dress is the expectation. A reminder that inappropriate dress will not be tolerated. Camp staff T-Shirt (s) will be provided. Please be sure to have appropriate Sunday wear with you for church services and the final concert. We desire that all staff dress in Ukrainian attire for the final concert, should you not have this available we will be happy to help provide this for your use.
- Alcohol, smoking (including vaping) and use of recreational drugs is strictly prohibited. Inappropriate language and behaviour will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to any acts of violence, bullying, harassment verbal or physical. All violations will be dealt with in a swift and respectable manner after a thorough investigation is completed with the individual. Investigation outcome will be followed up in a discussion with the President of the Board of Directors inclusive of a minimum of two (2) board members in agreement of final outcome of progressive discipline which may result termination of position.
We are looking for the following roles to be filled. If you have any questions or are interested in applying please send your resume to email@example.com